POSITION AT A GLANCE
POSITION: Fixed Term Contract (September '21 - March '22)
HOURS: Minimum 24 hours, up to 40 hours per week
LOCATION: Longwarry (with some shifts available at Moe Nursery site)
START: Spring '21
Habitat Creations have an opportunity for a Nursery Hand to join our Wholesale Nursery team during our busy period from September to March.
This is an important role primarily focused on providing assistance to the Wholesale Nursery team, to fulfill a range of general Nursery duties, including pricking out and tubing up seedlings, moving stock, labelling, watering, weeding and other plant and nursery duties (see main duties below).
A full-time role is possible following successful completion of the fixed term contract.
Reporting to your direct Team Leader/Leading Hand, this role covers a range of general nursery duties primarily at our Longwarry Nursery (with some shifts available at our other Nursery sites), including:
• Pricking out and tubing up seedlings
- Maintaining focus and attention to detail, and following HC Procedures and Targets as outlined by your Supervisor/Team Leader
• Labelling of plants and recording tally of plants pricked out
• Hand watering, weeding & fertilising
• Moving stock
• Assisting in preparing and sanitising tubes/hiko’s
• Assisting in plant management duties – eg. fertilising, canopy management (cutting back), hand watering.
• Ride-On or Quad-Bike use (training to be provided)
• Assisting in compiling orders for dispatch
• Assisting in cleaning and processing of seed
• Grounds maintenance – chemical and manual weed control, general hygiene measure i.e. sanitising surfaces, cleaning of soil bay, igloos
This is a physical, primarily outdoor role that requires attention to detail and consistency. To be successful you’ll need:
• The physical capability to effectively and safely carry out the repetitive physical requirements of the role i.e. lifting and bending
• The commitment to work in all types of weather conditions
• To be punctual and reliable
• To have a consistent focus and attention to detail
• Motivation to reach set targets as required
• A positive, friendly mindset committed to teamwork
A Horticulture qualification is desirable, but not essential.
Applicants that don’t have a formal qualification would need to detail at least 1 year of industry experience and demonstrate enthusiasm for plants and the Horticulture industry.
At least 1 year of experience in a Native Wholesale Nursery is preferred, with demonstrated knowledge and skills covering the main duties as described in this PD.
A current and valid driver’s license and reliable transport is a requirement for this role. A manual driver’s licence and the ability to tow a trailer are preferred but not essential.
• Competitive remuneration and the security of a fixed term contract
• Challenging, rewarding work in the great outdoors
• Be part of a team working together towards a common purpose; leaving a lasting environmental legacy for our clients and local communities
• A workplace committed to safety, diversity and inclusion
APPLY FOR THIS JOB
If you'd like to apply for this position, please complete the form below and upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. Your cover letter should clearly address the qualifications and experience described in the position description.